Sunday, September 30, 2012

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Hello everyone! Happy Sunday!!!

Hope you all are enjoying a beautiful weekend!

I've been hungry for soup all day. Actually, I'm always hungry for soup. There are literally thousands of soup recipes, most of which I've pinned onto it's own special board: Soups & Salads. I'm bound and determined to try them all and make them my own! LOL. Well, I don't think I will ever get that far, but no need to worry about that.

Today, while trying to figure out what to make for dinner, I saw a recipe for homemade tomato soup that Marla from Family Fresh Cooking.com had adapted from Ina Gardner {Barefoot Contessa}. It looked absolutely delish, so thought I would try my hand at making my own. It's so simple and so easy peasy. I have so many garden tomatoes I have to use up because I refuse to throw them away, so I may have to do this recipe again and just freeze it!!! Hope you enjoy the recipe and have a fabulous day!

P.S. I know my grilled cheese is a little "dark", but that is exactly how I like it, so I still kept it in the pictures! LOL...I probably should have thought of the "photo effect" when making my grilled cheese!!!

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
8 Tomatoes, Quartered
5 Garlic Cloves, Whole
1 Medium Purple Onion, Sliced & Quartered
3 Tlb. Olive Oil

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

S&P to taste
2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
1/2 c. Water
1-1/2 c. Whole Milk
Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large baking dish, place tomatoes, garlic & onions. Drizzle with Olive Oil. Sprinkle with Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper.

3. Bake for 55 Min. Remove from heat and while cooling, remove the tomato peals. {Don't forget to remove peals so that you don't have fibrous contents in your creamy soup!!!}
4. Pour all contents into a large pot and heat over medium-medium/high heat. Add bullion cubes, water & milk and simmer at a boil for 10-15 minutes. Use an immersion blender wand or pour contents into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
5. Pour into bowls and top with your favorite topping! I love to use mine as a dip for my grilled cheese sandwiches!!!





Photobucket

No comments: