Sunday, February 3, 2013

VEGAN German Chocolate Cupcakes!!!


WHAT? Did I just type that? VEGAN German Chocolate Cupcakes? Total craziness!

Not only is it crazy, it's blow your mind delish!!! So here's the story behind this post:

Katrina and Jolie, 'Sota is Sexy

My friend Katrina from Sotaissexy is a vegan. I am not. I actually wouldn't make a good Vegan what-so-ever! She came to my son's 6th Birthday party, and I said she could have a slice of icecream cake because that is Vegan right? WRONG! Turns out, icecream, it's made from milk {I actually knew this, but funny that I thought a vegan could have some!!!}! LOL...Totally don't grasp the whole concept I guess! So, I went on a quest to create a dessert she could eat...I researched vegan recipes. The nerd in me took over. Did you know there aren't any Vegan dessert recipes out there {at least non that I could find}? How is a Non-Vegan suppose to know how to bake/cook Vegan? So I researched alternatives to use in recipes instead: Milk, Eggs, Butter, Evaporated Milk, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, etc. And I incorporated switches into a recipe and came up with a Vegan German Chocolate Cupcake. {Be still my heart!!!}


You may be rolling your eyes at this and asking why I chose to start out Vegan with such a difficult recipe. Well, there's a story behind that as well. My friends husband is a German Chocolate Cake fan. And well, I was using him, so I wanted to bribe him with these cupcakes. He is a Dermatologist in town and I needed a cream that cost way too much for me to buy myself, so was going without it {because I choose to spend my money on clothes, shoes, and girlie stuff instead of medicated lotions :) }. He said he could get me some samples. So in exchange for these samples, I'm bribing him with German Chocolate Cupcakes!!! MAYBE, just MAYBE, if I made a 9 foot tall German Chocolate Cupcake, had a super Model pop out of it, and let him rock climb to the top, he would hit me up with some Botox injections! Bwahahaha...hey, a girl can dream right?

Anyways, getting to the recipe. These are super moist and delish. I'm not a vegitarian or a vegan, but if I were, I think I would make these all the time!

So here's the recipe...pass on to your Vegan friends!!!

Vegan German Chocolate Cupcakes
makes 18 cupcakes
1 box Devils Food Cake
3/4 c. Apple Sauce
1/2 c. Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3/4 c. Vanilla Soy Milk
3 Tlb. Avacado

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin. Set aside.
2. Gently cream apple sauce, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
3. Mix together soy milk & lemon.
4. Alternately add cake mix and  soy milk mixture. Add avacado and mix until smooth and creamy. Scrap sides if you need to.
5. Fill liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake 18-22 min. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Vegan German Frosting
makes 3 cups
1 c. Vanilla Soy Milk
2 Tlb. Cornstarch
1 c. Sugar
2 Tlb. Apple Sauce
1/2 c. Shortening
1.5 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 c. Chopped Pecans
1-1/2 c. Flaked Coconut {sweetened or unsweetened}

1. In a small saucepan, heat soy milk, cornstarch, sugar, apple sauce & shortening until thick {10-15 min}
2. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, pecans, and flaked coconut. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Refrigerate leftovers up to 2 weeks.

Vegan German Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
makes 3 cups
4 oz. Coconut Milk
dash Lemon Juice
1/2 c. Shortening
1/4 c. Cocoa Powder
4 c. Powdered Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Tlb. Soy Milk {if needed}

1. In a stand mixer, cream coconut milk for 5 minutes. Add shortening, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar {1 c. at a time} and cream 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla extract.
3. If too thick, add soy milk to thin out.
4. Frost away! I frost the edges of the cupcakes and then scoop the German Frosting in the centers...

I really hope you test out these cupcakes and see what you think!!! Happy Baking!!!

Photobucket

3 comments:

~amy~ said...

I'll have to give these a try....I'm lactose intolerant so I'm always open to something like this...BUT, I'll have my kids bake them...they are the ones that like to bake:)

Katrina said...

These were THE BOMB!!! :)

Cathryn said...

Most Duncan Hines cake mixes are vegan with a few exceptions. To make a super easy and fast vegan cake or cupcakes, just add 10 oz of any soda of your choice. The way I measure the soda....I take 2 sips out of the 12 oz can and then add it the cake mix and then mix it. Then bake it according to directions. Its great to make even if you arent vegan! It's low fat, super easy and delicious!

Also, how much cocoa do you add to the chocolate buttercream recipe....could not find measurements for this. Thanks! :)