Sunday, February 10, 2013

German Chocolate...Cookies?

Hello everyone!

Well, today is Sunday, and I typically don't post on Sundays, but there isn't really much to do. I woke up early this morning with the intention of going to church, only to find out we have a blizzard and most church services were cancelled for today. I'm not sure if ours was, but I still opted to stay home. As I type this, I can't believe all I've done today and it is only 1 o'clock! What? Seems like time is standing still! 

This morning, the kids and I made Red Velvet Heart Pancakes, we watched Dispicable Me {Never gets old!}, had a pillow fight, played Super Nintendo {cause that's how we roll}...And then, noon hit and I was bored. I found myself going to the fridge, for no reason cause I know I wasn't hungry. And on the top shelf I found leftover German Chocolate Frosting and German Frosting from my VEGAN cupcakes...Hmmm...I was tempted to open up the containers, grab a spoon and start going to town. But...I was able to contain myself and decided a Cookie would be a better avenue for these leftovers. I don't know if it's been done before, but it's been done now! LOL...So then, German Chocolate Cookies were born. I have to admit, they aren't bad! LOL...Anyways, here's the recipes and I hope you enjoy!

Red Velvet Pancakes
Adapted from Recipe Girl's Recipe
1/4 c. Butter, at room temp
2 Tlb. Sugar
2  Eggs, at room temp
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 c. Whole Milk + 2 Tlb. Lemon Juice
1.5 c. Flour
2 Tlb. Cocoa Powder
1.5 tsp. Baking Powder
.5 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Tlb. White Vinegar
1 Tlb. Red Food Coloring
1. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and lemon juice, set aside for 5-10 min. Heat up griddle or pan. Get out heart shaped cookie cutters and cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla until smooth.
4. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to stand mixer. Whisk until combined.
5. Add white vinegar and red food coloring and mix until smooth.
6. Pour small amounts of batter into cookie cutters. Cook until bubbly, remove cookie cutters and then flip. Cook 1 more min. and remove from heat. Serve with choice of topping! {recipe girl served her's with a Cream Cheese Frosting...may have to test that one out next time!!!}

German Chocolate Cookies
2 c. Flour
.5 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1.5 sticks Butter, Softened
.5 c. Sugar
.5 c. Packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract.
3. Add baking soda and salt.
4. Add flour 1 cup at a time.
5. Mix in German Chocolate Frosting {found HERE} & German Frosting {found HERE} until just incorporated {Should look slightly marbled}.
6. Using a small icecream scoop, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 7 min.

7. Remove parchment paper from baking sheets, allow to cool. Drizzle German Chocolate Frosting over cookies. Sprinkle with hearts! {Can skip this step or decorate for other holidays}

Until Next time...

Photobucket

No comments: