Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Apple Pie & Butter Crust


Hey everyone! Happy Tuesday!!!

Today I'm totally draggin', but even though I just want to curl up onto a ball and sleep the day away, sadly, that is never an option. I did this to myself and I'm just gonna have to suffer the consequences! LOL. Long story short, I stayed up way too late last night, and after work got invited to play some cards, which I decided to do because they always ask and I never take them up on the offer. Well, 2:20 in the morning and I get a call from hubby on my way home, totally worried, as he should be, wondering where I was. I was so sorry that I hadn't called him or texted him and that I left the ringer off the phone. I was a poor excuse for a wife. I've never done anything like that, but my logic was that he goes to sleep at 11 and won't even know I'm missing, so why wake him up and get him worried. Yes I know ladies and gents that are rolling your eyes, I didn't even think about anything else and I really should have. So needless to say, I wanted to get out of the dog house. I put my mind to work and came up with the perfect solution!

APPLE PIE!!! Isn't the expression "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach"? I think that is true because hubby is no longer mad at me, which I hate...and we have a warm apple pie for our bellies!!! Yeah me! LOL...Wasn't my brightest moment over the past 10 years, but allas, I am still learning! Hehehe...Anyways, I hope you find the pie recipe to your liking and can put it to good use!!! Have a wonderful day!

Apple Pie: Butter Crust
{enough for top & bottom}
2-1/2 c. Flour
1 c. Butter
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tlb. Sugar
5 Tlb. Ice Water

1. Freeze your butter for 30-45 min. When you are ready to use it, cut into cubes.
2. In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt & sugar for about 1 min.
3. Add 1 stick of butter cubed, pulse until crumbly then add the 2nd stick of butter and pulse until crumbly.
4. Add 5 Tlb. water, doesn't have to mix completely after each addition. On the 5th Tlb., wait until a ball forms and then turn off the processor. Dump out onto a lightly floured smooth surface. I use my stove for all of my needs because most things stick to other surfaces in my opinion...You don't need to kneed your dough, just divide and form into balls, wrap in plastic wrap and then put in the fridge for about 30-60 min. If you are going to save the dough for later, I would put it in a freezer bag after wrapping and then it can store for up to 3 months.
5. When ready to use, remove from the fridge 15 minutes before you need it. Use however you want!!!

Apple Pie: Filling
{Makes 1 Pie}

10 Apples, peeled & sliced
3/4 c. Brown Sugar
3/4 c. Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 Tlb. Apple Cider
1 Egg, lightly beaten
2 Tlb. Sugar
1. Peal, de'core, & slice your apples. I buy 2 different kinds of home grown apples, 1 sweet and 1 sour, just my preference. I don't use regular eating apples for my pies.
2. In a LARGE bowl, combine apple slices, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, & apple cider, let sit while you prepare the crust.
3. Roll out 1/2 of your dough {1/4" thick} large enough for your pie plate so that it can overlap the edges. Using your rolling pin, transfer to your pie plate. Press down and to the sides, poke holes in the bottom with a fork.
4. Fill with apple pie filling.
5. For the top, use your imagination. Roll out the 2nd 1/2 of your dough and either cut into shapes, cover directly and cut wholes over the top, or design a top that is just for you. Be creative and have fun with it! That is my favorite part! Once you've got your top covered, lightly coat with egg-wash and then sprinkle with sugar. I have a sweet tooth, so I think I use 3 Tlb. of sugar...lol.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 min.


You could use this pie crust recipe for any flavor of pie, the sky is the limit!

Until Next Time...

Photobucket

No comments: